Monday, April 15, 2013

ARC Review (#24): Pretty Dark Nothing by Heather L Reid

Pretty Dark Nothing
by Heather L Reid
Expected Publication: April 23rd, 2013
Source: Netgalley


It’s been twenty three days since Quinn has slept for more than minutes at a time. Demons have invaded her dreams, stalking her, and whispering of her death. The lack of sleep and crippling fear are ruining her life. Energy drinks and caffeine pills don’t make a dent. When Quinn dozes off in the school hallway, Aaron, an amnesiac with a psychic ability, accidentally enters her nightmare. The demons are determined to keep them apart, and Aaron from discovering the secret locked away in his memory. Together, they could banish the darkness back to the underworld for good. That is, unless the demons kill them first.



This book was great.... up until the end.  The end I just felt was out of place and awkward, it couldn't really see how it fit into the story at all.  The ending also came all at once, and honestly, I got so confused I had to read several paragraphs over and over again to figure out what was going on.

The main character, Quinn, hasn't slept for 23 days.  She used to be the perfect girl in high school: a cheerleader, great grades, looks, and a great boyfriend of 4 years.  Until he breaks up with her.  Then he dates Quinn's worst enemy.  Quinn also has demon's whispering in her ears and shadows moving whenever she looks around.  They are trying to manipulate her into doing different things.

My favorite character, up until the end, would of had to be Aaron.  He was so strong and sensitive.  Reid developed his voice greatly and I loved seeing from his point of view.

Quinn was okay.  She seemed whiny at times but I guess I would be after 23 days of no sleep.  She was that typical teenager obsessing over an ex-boyfriend and has drama drama drama in her life.  I can't see why she listened to the demons so much too.  Why didn't she fight them?  It was annoying to see her cave into them so many times.

I loved Quinn's BFF Reese.  She was fantastic.  So quirky and hilarious, she doesn't take crap from no one.

I just can't get over the end.  It came out of absolutely nowhere and I think it should of been better incorporated throughout the books.  There was no hints, nothing, to even begin to foreshadow the enemy.  There were also so many questions that went unanswered that I thought should of definitely been answered by the beginning, but who am I to say?

Just because this book wasn't for me, doesn't mean it isn't for you! I suggest you still pick it up, but I wouldn't buy it.


1 comment:


  1. I loved it. :) I like the pervial bucket of informational water dumped on me. I think it was a great set up to the next book! I can't wait! The cliffie is by far the worst I have read in a LONG time. :(

    ReplyDelete