Monday, January 28, 2013

ARC Review (#13): Pivot Point by Kasie West

Title: Pivot Point
Author: Kasie West
Expected Publication: February 12th, 2013
Rating: 5/5
OverviewKnowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier . . .

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.

WOW, I am just really speechless at this moment.  West's debut is just phenomenal.  She has so much creativity and imagination and she jam packed it all into this one book.  My mind is literally blown right now.  I honestly had my doubts about this book when I had received it but there is not a doubt in my mind now that everyone SHOULD READ THIS!

I loved Addie as the main character.  She was just so relatable.  She's funny in her own way, she's witty, she's snarky, she's everything all jammed into one character.

Pivot Point follows Addie through these two alternative lives that she has to pick from.  Her parents are getting a divorce and she has to pick: Mom or Dad?  Of course, both lives feature boys.  With her mom, she gets to be with the high school quarterback, Duke, and seems to be in a perfect relationship.  With her dad, she gets to be with Trevor, a kind hearted, caring, loving person and their relationship is just adorable by the end.

I have to honestly say at the beginning I was Team Duke.  I though that Trevor just didn't seem like the right guy for Addie and didn't seem to show much interest in her.  He seemed to be focus on one of the other minor characters.  But as the story progressed, I became increasingly suspicious of Duke and totally switched to Team Trevor by the end.

I thought at the beginning that having this ability to Search your future sounded really great and I must say at first, I really wanted to have this ability.  But by the end, I saw the way it really takes a toll on your life and how it can really show you the bad side of things.

I also loved West's ability to connect the two worlds together and you could totally see the similarities between the two choices and their similarities.

THE ENDING! I must say, I did not see the ending coming.  West slapped me in the face with all of the ending.  I never saw what was coming.  West did leave us with a "sort of" cliffhanger.  I say "sort of" because most of everything is really resolved, but then Addie's dad offers up something for Addie and I can't wait to see what happens.

According to Goodreads, there is going to be a book #2 and I honestly can't wait to 2014 to read it!!!  GAHH!

An Except from Addie and Trevor:
"What if this is a Search?"
I stiffen.  "What?" 
"Have you ever though about that before?  What if now, this very moment, isn't set in stone.  What if you're just seeing a vision of what could be?"

No comments:

Post a Comment