Friday, January 25, 2013

Review (#12): Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Title: Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Published: November 15th, 2011
Rating: 5/5
Overview: Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war– and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

I've wanted to read Shatter Me for quite a long time and I have no idea what took me so long to read it! This was a fantabulous read and took me a matter of a couple days to get through it.  It is so fast paced and descriptive.  So much that it draws you in and when you start reading, you cannot put it down!

Juliette was such a likable character!  She's so different from many of other main characters that seem to resemble someone else.  You can definitely tell at the beginning of the book how the isolation from other people has effected her, she has some almost "crazy" qualities to her.  The way she repeats words and numbers shows the the isolation had definitely effected her.

Juliette is kept in an asylum and is kept in a room that resembles a jail cell, barely ever getting out to use the bathroom or shower.  She also usually only gets on meal a day.  I can't even imagine how that would feel and it has to be a lot harder on Juliette seeing what she is already going through.  Not being able to touch anybody?  That's so hard on her.  How would she start a family?  How would she love anybody?

Then there comes Adam, the only one that has really seen past her power and seen her for her.  He is just a great guy and I love how they don't meet and just instantly fall in love.  They've both loved each other for a long time but just haven't confessed.  The scenes between Adam and Juliette are so STEAMMMY! GAHHH! They made my heart thud just reading them!!

I loved the setting of Omega Point.  It just seemed like a great place and we were barely there to see it yet.  I can't wait to learn more about Omega Point and the people that are there!

There really wasn't a cliffhanger but Mafi did set it up so that we definitely start to see what is happening in the next book.  And I'm perfectly fine with that.  I love cliffhangers in series, but an ending wasn't so bad.

2 comments:

  1. I liked this book but I didn't love it. I think it was how descriptive it was. I get that Juliette was seeing things for the first time in a year but it just made it hard for me to read. I think the only reason I ended up enjoying it was when we got to the end and it started being a bit like X-men haha. So I'm actually really looking forward to where this goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently reading this and I feeling the same way about Adam and Juliette's relationship. They are perfect together!

    New follower here! :)
    Erleen @ Books For YA!

    ReplyDelete