Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Review (#19): Belles by Jen Calonita

Belles
by Jen Calonita
Source: ARCycling
Rating: 4/5


Fifteen-year-old Isabelle Scott loves her life by the boardwalk on the supposed wrong side of the tracks in North Carolina. But when tragedy strikes, a social worker sends her to live with a long-lost uncle and his preppy privileged family. Isabelle is taken away from everything she's ever known, and, unfortunately, inserting her into the glamorous lifestyle of Emerald Cove doesn't go so well. Her cousin Mirabelle Monroe isn't thrilled to share her life with an outsider, and, in addition to dealing with all the rumors and backstabbing that lurk beneath their classmates' Southern charm, a secret is unfolding that will change both girls' lives forever.







I haven't read many YA contemporaries in awhile and I decided lately that I really want to take a step back from the paranormals and give the contemporaries a try.  Boy oh boy, I am so glad that I started with Belles.  

Belles is filled with so many different vengeful plots and jaw dropping moments.  I loved the alternating point of views between Izzie and her cousin, Mira.  These two are complete opposites of each other and you can always tell who's point of view you are in just by there dialogue and actions.  Izzie is such a down to earth and kind hearted girl, while Mira is your typical stuck up mean girl.  I loved seeing these two totally different girls eventually come together as one.

I also liked Brayden, Izzie's love interest, but at the same time I didn't.  I hate the way he acted toward Izzie originally but I loved him by the end.  I also loved Kellen, Mira's love interest.  He's the artsy, kind hearted, down to earth type and I wish I could personally know him.

I cannot wait to order the whole series and get my own copies so I can finish the series!

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't expecting to enjoy this one as much as I did. But I enjoyed it so much. The whole series is fantastic. I can't wait to read more from this wonderful author!

    ReplyDelete